Are you given a reckless driving ticket in Virginia and you are not sure what to do about it? Firstly you should write down all the details of the incident once the police officer has left. Reckless Driving ticket is often written as RC by the police officers. By writing every detail of the incident you can defend yourself in the courtroom against the prosecutors. The next step is to seek the help of Virginia reckless driving attorney who could guide you throughout your case.
It is important to understand that reckless driving ticket is different from an over speeding ticket. A person who is given an over speeding ticket can simply pay the fines and get rid of the charges, but reckless driving ticket cannot be treated similarly. Reckless driving in Virginia is considered as a serious criminal offense and the court categorizes it as a class 1 misdemeanor. Therefore in order to represent your case in the court, you need an experienced Virginia reckless driving attorney.
The court punishes class one misdemeanors for up to one-year imprisonment and a heavy fines of almost $2500. Although the punishments varies with the sensitivity of the case, generally the people who are found guilty of committing reckless driving are subjected to one or more of these punishments:
- Heavy fines of maximum $2500 along with the court fees
- Suspension of the driving license for a maximum period of 6 months
- Six negative points in your driving records
- And it can even lead to imprisonment for a period of 12 months
- Other long-term disadvantages:
- Hike in the insurance premium
- Loss of job due to imprisonment
- Dependency on public transport in case of suspension of the license
Understanding the severity of reckless driving punishment, it is important for a person to contact a Virginia reckless driving attorney and discuss all the detail of the incident. There are multiple scenarios where the traffic police officer can charge you with reckless driving ticket such as:
- Over speeding under unfavorable traffic conditions
- Bringing unsafe mode of vehicle on road such as a car without breaks
- Moving through the red light
- Turning without giving any signals
- Driving carelessly causing an accident
- Rash driving next to the school bus
- Or racing on the roads.
How can the Virginia reckless driving attorney help you in strengthening your case?
It is understandable that the criminal offense conviction is a daunting experience for a citizen who has no idea about the court procedures. Reckless driving has 14 different scenarios for which the court could penalize the drivers. All these 14 charges carries different punishment and they are not easy to grasp. If you have committed the reckless driving crime unintentionally a Virginia reckless driving attorney can help you in minimizing your charges or if you are falsely accused with the reckless driving charges your lawyer can even help you in waiving those false charges.